House Clearance in Effingham
Few little facts about Effingham
Effingham is an English village in the Borough of Guildford in Surrey, bordering Mole Valley.Effingham appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as Epingeham. It was held by Osuuold (Oswald) from Chertsey Abbey and Richard Fitz Gilbert.
By 1545, King Henry VIII was hunting on what is now Effingham Golf Course whilst staying at Hampton Court nearby.The Effingham Golf Club clubhouse contains a spectacular carved oak fireplace in the Armada room, dated 1591, which is believed to have originated on one of Lord Howard of Effingham's ships.
Effingham Manor Golf Club was formed with the artisan club house using what are now greenkeepers' cottages situated near the third tee area.
The club house, previously known as Effingham House, is Georgian in style and was reconstructed by David Burnsall in about 1770. A feature of the club house today is an ancient cedar tree believed to be over 400 years old which give rise to the club emblem. The course is known as one of the finest in the south and holds the qualifing rounds for the Open Championship.
Famous Effingham villagers include Sir Barnes Wallis, inventor of the bouncing bomb which breached the Eder and Moehne dams in the Second World War. He also designed airships including the R100.