House Clearance in Shackleford
Few little facts about Shackleford
Shackleford is a village in Surrey.
The village does not appear in the Domesday survey of the eleventh century. The name first appears (as Sakelesford) in 1220 with many variants appearing down the centuries. The derivation of the "Shackle" part of the name is uncertain and the subject of speculation. A possible formation is from the Old English verb sceacan (to shake) suggesting loose movement, perhaps the shaky or loose bottom of the ford itself.
The name may derive from a 'ford' (perhaps over a marshy area or swamp) belonging to a man with the name 'shackle' or perhaps a ford secured by chains. Others have speculated that the name derives from the Old English word 'scacol,' meaning tongue of land. Whatever the derivation, by the 14th century villagers began taking the place name as a surname, when there is known to have been a William de Shackleford who lived in the area.
William de Shackleford probably owned Hall Place - a substantial manor house which existed here in the 15th century. Its estate covered many acres, including much of today’s village.
Hall Place was demolished in 1797 and a new mansion was built on the site in the late 19th century. During the Second World War this building and much of its grounds were bought by Aldro School, which relocated there from Eastbourne.