House Clearance in Seale
Few little facts about Seale
Seale is a village in Surrey, forming part of the civil parish of Seale and Sands.The name Seale derives from the Anglo Saxon word for "hall" or, alternatively, for "willow".
Seale is part of the hundred of Farnham and its downland was originally part of the large and rich manor of Farnham, owned by the Bishops of Winchester, who retained rights of warren and other manorial privileges into the 19th century. Like other parts of Surrey, however, it then and since attracted people wishing to live in a rural environment within easy reach of other centres of work, including London.
Most of the agricultural land in Seale now belongs to the Hampton Estate, centred on Hampton Lodge, an 18th century mansion. This estate is an early 20th century aggregation of the land formally owned by the Long family of Hampton, together with agricultural land formerly attached to Seale Lodge, and agricultural and parkland formerly comprising the Great Down estate, centred on another mansion at the top of the Hog's Back, Great Down, which was demolished in the 1950s. The Hampton Estate was acquired by Eustace Thornton in 1929. He was succeeded by his son, Sir Richard Thornton, KCVO, OBE, who was Lord Lieutenant of Surrey 1986-1997. It is now run by Sir Richard's daughter and son-in-law, Bridget and Bill Biddell.