Waste Disposal Runnymede
Few little facts about Runnymede
Runnymede is a water-meadow alongside the River Thames in the English county of Surrey. It is notable for its association with the sealing of the Magna Carta, and as a consequence is the site of a collection of memorials.
The name Runnymede may be derived from the Anglo-Saxon describing a place in the meadows or 'medes' used to hold regular meetings. The Witan, Witenagemot or Council of the Anglo-Saxon Kings of the 7th to 11th centuries was held from time to time at Runnymede during the reign of Alfred the Great.
The name Runnymede is used commonly now to refer to land in National Trust ownership in the Thames flood plain south-west of the river between Old Windsor and Egham. The area comprises Long Mede and Runnymede which together with Coopers Hill Slopes is managed by the National Trust, and Yard Mede.
Broughton died in January 1929 just prior to elevation to the peerage. His wife, Cara Leland Broughton (née Rogers), became, by command of King George V, the first Lady Fairhaven, and their eldest son, the first Baron Fairhaven. In December 1929 Lady Fairhaven presented the Runnymede Meadow and surrounding lands to the National Trust.