House Clearance in Reigate
Few little facts about Reigate
Reigate is a historic market town in Surrey, at the foot of the North Downs, and in the London commuter belt. It is one of the main constituents of the Borough of Reigate and Banstead. Reigate appears in Domesday Book in 1086 as Cherchefelle which appears to mean 'the open space by the hill'.
The origin of the name Reigate is uncertain, but appears to derive from Roe-deer Gate, as the town was situated near to the entrance to the de Warenne's deer park.
In 2004 a circa 92 AD Roman tile kiln was recovered from the grounds of Rosehill in Doods Way, Reigate. Being geologically suited, this was only one of a series of tile kilns in the area. The tiles would have been used for important buildings in London. The Rosehill find is the oldest recorded use of Reigate Stone (Upper Greensand) for "ashlar masonry work".
Probably early in the 13th century Reigate Priory was founded for regular Canons of the Order of St Augustine. After the dissolution of the monasteries in 1535 the estate was granted by Henry VIII to William Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Effingham, who may have converted the Priory buildings into a residence. The Effingham branch of the Howard family, including the Earl of Nottingham who as Lord High Admiral commanded the force which defeated the Spanish Armada, lived there until their heirs sold it to the wealthy London brewer, John Parsons in 1681. Remains of the former monastery buildings are known to lie beneath the lawns to the south of the present mainly 18th century house, which is now used as a school.
Joey Benjamin, former England cricketer lives in Reigate.
Hermann Bondi, the Austrian Physicist and mathematician lived in Reigate in the 1970s.