House Clearance in Peper Harow
Few little facts about Peper-Harow
Peper Harow is a village in Surrey close to the town of Godalming.The name "Peper Harow" is very unusual and comes from Old English Pipers Hearg meaning, approximately "Pagan Temple".
Peper Harrow appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as Pipereherge. It was held by Girard (Gerard) from Walter, son of Othere.
The whole village is privately owned and access is restricted. Peper Harow House was built by Sir William Chambers in 1765.The house was owned by the Midleton family until 1944 when it was sold to property developers. It, and the entire village, is now owned by a trust. There is also an ancient bridge called Somerset Bridge which crosses the River Wey and connects Peper Harow with nearby Elstead.
In the graveyard of St. Nicholas's Church (dating to 1301) is an ancient yew tree which has been dated to at least 1,500 years old and is probably older still. It could stand on the site of the old pagan temple or it could even be the old pagan temple as trees were venerated in those times by the Saxons.St. Nicholas's church was almost destroyed by fire in December 2007 . The yew was unharmed and the church is currently being restored.
Close to Peper Harrow at Bonville Hanger Wood is a Holy well called Bonfield Spring that is also thought to have held pre-christian religious significance.