House Clearance in Merstham
Few little facts about Merstham
Merstham is a village in the Reigate and Banstead borough of Surrey. The area has been settled since pre-Roman times. The village lay within the Reigate hundred, an Anglo-Saxon administrative division. Merstham appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as Merstan. It was held by Archbishop Lanfranc of Canterbury.
The area has long been known for its quarries, and it was to serve these that the village became the terminus of the Croydon, Merstham and Godstone Railway, an extension of the horse-drawn Surrey Iron Railway of 1803, the world's first public railway. A small section of the railway is on display near Quality Street.
Merstham's oldest church, St. Katharine's, dates from approximately 1100, and the current building originates from approximately 1220.
Merstham's most historic street is called 'Quality Street'. This was so named after the male and female lead actors in J.M. Barrie's play of the same name lived in the 'Old Forge' at the end of the street.
Rockshaw Road, in Top Merstham, was developed at the very end of the 19th century and between the World Wars was home to many notable people, among them senior Army and Navy figures, financiers and politicians.