House Clearance in St Mary
Few little facts about St-Mary
Holmbury St. Mary is a village near Abinger in the Mole Valley district of Surrey, Englandlocated within the Hurtwood, the largest area of common land in Surrey. Nearby to the south is Holmbury Hill, which at 857 feet (261 m) is the fourth highest point in Surrey. The village is named after both the hill and the large Victorian church at its heart. St Mary's Church, which overlooks the Village Green, was built in 1879 by George Edmund Street, who had built himself a large house in the village between 1873-1876, also known as Holmdale. Holmdale later became home to Thomas Sivewright Catto, the Governor of the Bank of England from 1944 to 1949.
From 1947 to 1986, the village was home to the Webb Memorial Trust, set up as a Memorial to Beatrice Webb. Beatrice Webb House was opened by Clement Attlee and served as an important education and discussion facility for the Fabian Society, Labour Party and trade unions. The Fabian Window, designed by George Bernard Shaw (who Co-Founded theLondon School of Economics with Sidney and Beatrice Webb) hung in the house until it was stolen in 1978. The window was later recovered and is now on loan to the LSE.
Holmbury-St-Mary is also home to the UCL Department of Space and Climate Physics (Mullard Space Science Laboratory), a Department of University College London and the UK's Largest University-Based Space Science Research Group. The village has three schools, Belmont School, and Hurtwood House, catering for ages 2 to 13 and 16 to 18 respectively. Moon Hall School provides specialist tuition for children with Dyslexia.