House Clearance in Hambledon
Few little facts about Hambledon
Hambledon is a small and scattered village in Surrey.Hambledon appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as Hameledune. It was held by Rannulf from Edward de Sarisber (Salisbury).
Many researchers repeat the assertion that the name means 'crooked or irregularly shaped hill'. However, a research team focused on the families that held places of this name, Crispin Cousins, has come to understand that the name derives from a different meaning. Rather, Hambleton and Hambledon derive from the composite ham-belle-ton(or don). During the Middle Ages, ham had the meaning of bank plus ditch. Belle is the ancient name of Bailleul and derives from the same etymology as ball, bowl, meaning "round shape." The words ton, don mean "enclosure." Taken together, Hambledon has the meaning of "curved enclosure formed by a ditch and embankment." In the 16th century, its land was mined for iron ore. In recent times this was replaced by another local industry - brick making.
Beside the village green stands Oakhurst Cottage - a traditional 16th century labourer’s home, which has been restored and is now owned by the National Trust.
Hambledon workhouse was used by King Edward's School, Witley in nearby Wormley from 1940 to 1949 while the school buildings were taken over by the Royal Navy.
The Buildings were used by Surrey County Council as an Old Peoples home up to the early 1970s.
The buildings were then used by the Institute of Oceanographic Sciences until the 1990s when the site was acquired by property developers Berkeley Homes and redeveloped for residential use. Only the workhouse survives - now converted into apartments.
Contact us for for rubbish and house clearance in surrey