House Clearance in Gomshall
Few little facts about Gomshall
Gomshall is a village in Surrey.Gomshall appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as Gomeselle. It was held by William the Conqueror
In 1154, Henry II of England divided the Manor of Gumesele into three: West Gomshall, East Gomshall and Somersbury. In 1240, West Gomshall was granted to the Cistercian Abbey of Netley in Hampshire and became known as Gomshall Netley. East Gomshall was granted to the Abbey of St Mary Graces, Tower Hill, London in 1376 and became known as Gomshall Towerhill.
Local industries developed which were based on the plentiful and constant water supply of the River Tillingbourne. Those which survived into the 20th century, but are now gone, were corn milling, watercress growing and leather tanning. Gomshall Mill was the corn mill. Netley Mill pumped water for the Hurtwood Water Company for part of its existence.