House Clearance in East Clandon
Few little facts about East-Clandon
East Clandon is a village and parish in Surrey. The parish landscape includes a traditional country estate, arable and livestock farmlands, woodlands, a golf course and Hatchlands Park, a National Trust property.
The word Clandon (Clanedune) goes back to Anglo-Saxon times meaning clean down or open downland from the North Downs hills that rise above the village. People settled here due to the availability of water that emerged where the chalk meets the lower lying clay.
East Clandon appears in Domesday Book as Clanedun. It was held by Chertsey Abbey.
In 1544 Henry VIII granted East Clandon Manor to Sir Anthony Browne.The oldest houses in the village, Frogmore Cottage, Lamp Cottage, Old Manor Farm, Tunmore Cottage among others, had already been built when the London brewer John Raymond sold the Hatchlands Park estate to Admiral Boscawen in 1749. The present Hatchlands house was built for him with the help of prize money from his victory with the French and it was completed in 1758 only three years before the Admiral died.In 1945 the Hatchlands house, park and some land were given to the National Trust.
The popular TV series Catweazle was shot in East Clandon (on Home Farm), West Horsley and the surrounding area in the summer of 1969.