House clearance in Deepcut
Few little facts about Deepcut
Paleolithic flints have been found in the drift gravels on the hills, and a few neolithic implements in old Frimley parish generically. On the crest on which the community sits, near the southern end of Chobham Ridges, is a very large round barrow called Round Butt; south of it Mainstone Hill probably preserves the name of the Standing Stone, which formed a boundary mark of Chobham in the 12th century Chertsey charter. Dr. William Stukeley'sItinerarium Curiosum records a Roman urn and coins as found here.
Deepcut was part of the parish of Ash until 1866, when Frimley gained its own civil and ecclesiastical parishes. Due to non-agricultural soil and undulating landscape leading to little transport infrastructure few people lived here. The parish provided the traditional community structures of church, particularly vestry, and the increasingly redundant rights and functions of manors. Frimley and Ash manors were among the major landholdings whose owners could acquire thecommon land covering almost the entire area in 1801 and 1826.
In 1537 the abbey granted Ash with its other lands to Henry VIII. Edward VI of England, however, shortly after his accession granted it to Winchester College, which held the adjoining lands to the south, Ash Manor, in 1911.
Deepcut from 1894 was in the administrative area Frimley and Camberley Urban District until the establishment ofSurrey Heath in 1974. Blackdown camp, which became the Deepcut barracks was established by the Royal Engineersin late 1903 to accommodate artillery and infantry, centred on Winchester House, renamed Blackdown House when it was bought from the Pain family of Frimley Green by the War Office for military use.