House clearance in Claremont
Few little facts about Claremont
Claremont is an 18th-century Palladian mansion situated less than a mile south of Esher in Surrey. The buildings are now occupied by Claremont Fan Court School, and its landscaped gardens are owned and managed by the National Trust (acquired first in 1949).
The first house on the Claremont estate was built in 1708 by Sir John Vanbrugh. In 1714 he sold the house to the wealthy Whig politician Thomas Pelham-Holles, Earl of Clare, who later became Duke of Newcastle and served twice as Prime Minister. The Earl of Clare named his country seat Clare-mount, later contracted to Claremont.
A large map now situated in "Clive's room" of the mansion is entitled "Claremont Palace". The map probably dates back to the 1860s when the mansion was frequently occupied by Queen Victoria.
In 1816 Claremont was bought by the nation as a wedding present for George IV's daughter Princess Charlotte and her husband Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg. Queen Victoria was a frequent visitor to Claremont both as a child and later as an adult when Leopold, her doting uncle, lent her the house.
Claremont should have passed to the Duke of Saxe-Coburg on his mother's death in 1922, but because he had served as a German general in the First World War, the British government disallowed the inheritance.