House Clearance Bramley
Few little facts about Bramley
Bramley is situated in the Borough of Waverley in Surrey.Bramley is a Saxon name meaning a clearing in the broom.The settlement appears in Domesday Book as Brolege or Bronlei. It was held by the Bishop of Bayeux.
There is evidence of iron age settlement in the area, but the village began as a Saxon settlement, and expanded during the middle ages. Many historic buildings have survived and the village is a conservation area.Coronation Oak green today is all that remains of the original village green at the centre of the village.
Development in the village was also influenced by Mrs Charlotte Sutherland, who leased Church House in 1848. She largely financed the building of the north aisle of the Church in 1851, the new Vicarage (now demolished and replaced by Old Rectory Close), the Village School, the cemetery and its chapel (also demolished); her brother, Richard Charles Hussey, was the architect for all these developments.
Charles Smith purchased a site from Elizabeth Street of Birtley House in 1848. Here his son William established a brewery before 1865. This continued in operation until 1923, when the brewery chimney was demolished. His other son Richard established a foundry which lasted until the early 1960s; it is now the site of Bramley Motors.
It is in the Guinness Book of Records as the first cricket ground to host an all women's cricket match in 1745 on Gosden Common where Bramley Cricket Club play today.