Waste Disposal Camberwell SE5
Few little facts about Camberwell
Camberwell appears in the Domesday Book as Cambrewelle. The name might derive from the old English Cumberwell or Comberwel, meaning Welsh Well. Alternatively the name may have come from the Saxon language, meaning Cripple Well, which developed as a hamlet where people from the City of London were expelled when they had life threatening diseases like Leprosy, for treatment by the Church and the clean waters from the wells.
Up to the mid-nineteenth century, Camberwell was visited by Londoners for its rural tranquillity and the reputed healing properties of its mineral springs. Camberwell was transformed by the arrival of the railways in the 1860's.
Camberwell today is a mixture of relatively well reserved Georgian and 20th century housing, including a number of tower blocks. Camberwell Grove and Grove Lane have some of London's most elegant and well preserved Georgian houses. A notable building in Camberwell is the Salvation Army Training College which was designed by Sir Gilbert Scott and was opened in 1932.
Camberwell is mostly a working class area. Camberwell beauty is butterfly which is rarely found in the UK.