House Clearance Barking IG11
Few little facts about Barking
Barking is identified in the London plan as one of 35 major centers in Greater London. Its name came from Anglo-Saxon Berecingas meaning either "the settlement of the followers" or "descendant of a man called Bereca" or "the settlement by the birch trees". Barking is sometimes cited as the origin of the phrase "Barking Mad" meaning insane or intensely mad. This is attributed to the alleged existence of a medieval insane asylum attached to the Barking Abbey.
Barking was an urban district from 1894 and became a Municipal Borough in 1931. The Municipal Borough of Barking was abolished in 1965 along with the Municipal Borough of Degenham and the area became part of the London Borough of Barking.
Fishing was the most important industry in Barking from 14th century until the mid 19th. Other industries replaced the nautical trades including jute spinning, paint and chemical manufacturers. In the 20th century new industrial estates were established and many local residents came to be employed in the car plant at Degenham.