House clearance Upper Norwood SE19
Few little facts about Upper-Norwood
Upper Norwood is situated in south London. It is a residential district largely in the London Borough of Croydon although some parts extend into the London Borough of Lambeth, London Borough of Southwark and the London Borough of Bromley.
The area is one of the highest in the London area and for centuries was occupied by the Great North Wood, an extensive area of natural oak forest which formed a wilderness close to the southern edge of the ever-expanding city of London. The name 'Norwood' comes from a contraction of the 'North Wood' (Old English north + wudu).
Upper Norwood Library in Westow Hill, the only independent public library in the UK, was built in 1899 by joint agreement of the London Borough of Croydon and the London Borough of Lambeth. The library holds a Local History Collection of the Upper Norwood district and the Crystal Palace.
The Croydon Transmitter, a TV transmitter tower stands on the hill at Upper Norwood and a second larger TV transmitter, the Crystal Palace Transmitter, stands in Crystal Palace Park, making the district a landmark location, visible from any part of the London area.
Mary Nesbitt (1742/3 - 1825), an eighteenth century courtesan who became involved in political intrigue lived at Norwood House off Central Hill. The house is now part of Virgo Fidelis Convent and School.
Sir John Ninian Comper (1864 - 1960), one of the great Gothic Revival architects of the 20th century, lived at The Priory, 67 Beulah Hill (now demolished). His son Nicholas Comper (1897-1939) was an aviator who designed the Comper Swift monoplane in the back garden.