House clearance Orpington BR6
Few little facts about Orpington
Orpington is a suburban town and electoral ward in the London Borough of Bromley. The first record of the name Orpington occurs in 1032, when King Cnut's treasurer, Eadsy gave land at "Orpedingetune" to the Monastery of Christ Church at Canterbury.The parish Church also predates the Domesday Book.
In 1971, an international meeting of Romany people was held at Orpington. This Orpington congress marked the founding of the international Romani union, a group seeking political representation for Romani's throughout Europe.
The Walnuts Leisure Center, in Orpington has a six lane, 33.3 meters indoor swimming pool. It is home to Orpington Ojays Swimming Club, which competes at county, district and international level.
Orpington is known for the "Buff", "Black" and "Speckled" chickens bred locally by William Cook in 1890s. The Buff Orpington were able to be seen at Tripes Farm, Chelsfield Lane, however, in the late 90s, the chicken coop was removed from the farm.
Orpington is also known for Orpington car, built by Frank Smith and Jack Milroy at their works in Wellington Road, shown at the 1920 Motor Show. It was a 2 seater convertible, with a dickey seat and a 10 horsepower (7KW) engine. Although briefly successful, Smith and Milroy could not complete with mass production and the last car was built in 1925. Unfortunately there are no surviving examples.