House clearance Merton SM4, SW19, SW20
Few little facts about Merton
The London Borough of Merton is situated in the South West of London. The name derives from the historic Parish of Merton which was centered on the area now known as South Wimbledon. The borough was formed in 1965 by the merger of the former area of the Municipal Borough of Mitcham, the Municipal Borough of Wimbledon and the Merton and Morden Urban District, all formerly within Surrey.
In 1236 Henry III met his Barons at the priory to agree the Statute of Merton, an important foundation of modern English common law. The king also brought Queen Eleanor to be crowned at the priory in the same year. Henry VI, the only king of England to be crowned outside of Westminster Abbey in the last 1,000 years, held his coronation ceremony at Merton Priory in 1437. The area was later passed from the hands of royalty into those of successful tradesmen. By 1750, Merton Abbey and Mitcham had become the main centres of calico cloth printing in England. Increased industrial output in the Wandle Valley led to the construction of the world's first public railway, the horse-drawn Surrey Iron Railway, which opened in 1803.
Admiral Lord Nelson moved into Merton Place House off Merton High Street in 1801. The highly respected sailor loved his country home in Merton. Trams came to Mitcham and Wimbledon in 1906 and 1907 respectively. World War II caused considerable damage to Merton.
A lot of filming f popular ITV police drame 'The Bill' takes place in Merton, the set of 'Sun Hill' police station is also located in the borough.