House clearance Ilford IG1
Few little facts about Ilford
Ilford is a district and administrative headquarters of the London Borough of Redbridge. It was historically known as Great Ilford to differentiate it from nearby Little Ilford in the London Borough of Newham.
The name was first recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as ilefort and meant 'ford over the Hyle', an old name for the River Roding that means 'trickling stream'. Ilford has a large population of Jews as well as Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs. A number of major businesses have been found in Ilford including the eponymous photographer film and chemicals manufacturer Ilford Photo.
The only complete skull of a Mammoth discovered in the UK was unearthed in 1860 in Ilford at the site where Boots (The Chemist) now stands in the High Road. The skull can now be seen in the Natural History Museum.
A major employer in Ilford was the radio, electronics and telecommunications company Plessey, founded in 1917 in Marylebone. The company moved to Cottenham Road in Ilford early in 1919 and then to Vicarage Lane where it remained, becoming one of the largest manufacturers in the field.