House clearance Cricklewood NW2
Few little facts about Cricklewood
Cricklewood was home to Smith's Industries which started in 1915 as S.Smith and Sons on the Edgware Road, established to manufacture fuses, instruments and accessories. By 1939 it was making Electrical Motors, Air Craft Accessories and Electric Clocks. As the company grew it acquired other companies and sites overseas but Cricklewood remained the most important site with 8000 employees between 1937 and 1978.
Cricklewood also became the home for the first Smith's Crisps potato chips factory which replaced the Omnibus Depot at Crown Yard. Having moved into new premises in Cricklewood Lane, The Yard was taken over by Clang Electrical Goods Ltd.
In June 2001, a Lynx was captured in Cricklewood after 10 years campaign by residents. The animal was originally nick named "The Beast of Barnet" by the local press following numerous sightings around South Hertfordshire and the Fringes of North London. A senior veterinary officer for The London Zoological Society arrived with the task of sedating the beast using a tranquillizer gun. It is believed that someone as keeping the animal illegally and it had escaped. The Lynx was taken to London Zoo and named Lara.
In 1927 film Hunting Tower directed by George Pearson was made at Cricklewood Film Studios.